There’s another small dark blue edible berry on the block – the bilberry. No, that’s not a typo. It is a cousin to the blueberry and it's also a benefit-packed fruit.
Top of that long list of benefits is supporting eye health. Sure, the health of your eyes might not be something you’ve considered before, but science is beginning to show blue light contributes to digital eye strain. Squinty face.
This inky blue fruit then, is a sight for sore eyes.
Here’s everything you need to know about the berry:
- Bilberry is a source of antioxidants, those powerhouses that help protect cells against free radical damage.
- It's got more names than Prince – also going by European blueberry, whortleberry, huckleberry and blaeberry.
- Strained vision from work or study? Exposed to pollution and UV? It’s recommended to you. Why? Your eyes are susceptible to oxidative stress, which the antioxidants in bilberry just may help protect against.
- It's related to the blueberry and cranberry.
- You can get it in fresh, frozen, dried, powder, liquid or supplement form.
This material was produced by Swisse